What is PPDS?
PPDS food are products that are packaged before being offered for sale by the same food business to the final consumer. This can be on the same premises, on the same site, or on other premises if the food offered for sale is from a moveable/temporary premises.
Food is considered prepacked when put into packaging before being offered for sale and is either fully or partly enclosed by the packaging, PPDS products cannot be altered without opening or changing packaging when is ready to sell to the final consumer.
All PPDS foods must be labelled with:
• The name of the food
• A list of ingredients with any of the 14 allergens list in the EU FIC.
What food is considered prepacked for direct sale?
• Bakery goods which are packaged before a customer selects them
• Fast food which is wrapped before selected/ordered.
• Boxed salads
• Foods which are packed by a business and sold in retail units on where the food was packaged e.g. train stations, hospitals and universities
• A butcher who makes burgers and sausages on the same premises
• Foods which are pre-weighed and packaged e.g. cheese or meats from the counter
• A paper plate which is covered in clingfilm
What food is NOT considered prepacked for direct sale?
Food which is NOT in packaging: food that is loose before a consumer selects or orders then packaged afterwards.
• Deli sandwiches
• Unwrapped pick ‘n’ mix sweets
• Counter served popcorn
• Fast food which was not packaged at the point of order
Prepacked food: Food offered or sold by a different business to one which packaged it / Food offered or sold at a different location to where it was packaged.
• Chocolate bars
Distance Selling: Food which is delivered or ordered online, by mail, or by telephone
• Takeaway food e.g. your local Chinese
• Pizza Deliveries
Why our PPDS solution is right for you?
We are a food safety consultancy, and we can help your business by introducing an allergen labelling solution to help manage your food information. You simply enter the product name into a tablet, select how many labels you need and print labels live in store, taking away any room for error.
This solution allows us to help businesses with one product or several hundred, therefore if your product line increases or decreases the solution is still viable.
This is a cost-effective solution as we work alongside Brother to offer you the best in-house solution possible, ensuring you are protecting your customers. This guidance is for Natasha’s Law is coming into effect in October 2021, are you ready?
Please get in touch if you would like more information on our solution, give us a call on 01933 272089 or email firstname.lastname@example.org 😊
If you need any further guidance please find out more here: Guidance template