Getting food labels ‘right first time’ is understandingly a priority for food business operators (FBOs) to help ensure safety and the provision of accurate information to customers.
Different foods and serving methods have different labelling requirements. Some labelling requirements previously seen only in the retail sector are now being seen to be implemented in the foodservice and hospitality sector.
Prepacked food requires a label with the specific mandatory information. All food is subject to general food labelling requirements and any labelling provided must be correct and not misleading.
The following information must appear by law on food labels and packaging:
• The name of the food
• List of ingredients
• Allergen information
• Quantitative declaration of ingredients (QUID)
• Net quantity
• Storage conditions and date labelling
• Name and address of the manufacturer
• Country of origin or place of provenance
• Preparation instructions
• Nutritional declaration
• The name of the food,
• The presence of any of the 14 allergens,
• A QUID declaration (for products containing meat)
PPDS Mandatory Labelling
• The name of the food and;
• An ingredients list including allergenic ingredients.
• The allergenic ingredients within the food must be emphasised every time they appear in the ingredients list.
• Storage and usage/cooking instructions
• Indication of minimum durability
Mandatory OOH Calorie Labelling
• Food establishments with more than 250 employees must have calorie labelling on all menu formats for each dish/portion size
• The statement ‘adults need around 2000 kcal a day’ needs to be on all menu formats
The marketing opportunities from mandatory food labelling
Showcasing the calories, provenance claims such as country of origin and nutritional claims can be used as part of your marketing strategy. Many customers are more likely to purchase foods labelled as ‘low calorie’ or ‘high protein’ compared to their competitors.
However, these claims must be backed up by data and accurately represent the product being sold.
NT Assure’s labelling services
Here at NT assure we have a range of products and services tailored to help ensure due diligence as well as save time and costs – Retailers, manufacturers, and FBOs can use our technical services team to check existing pack copies for legal label compliance or create new ones for you.
We have a team of highly qualified and skilled consultants that can:
• Food Labelling
• Specification Writing
• Supplier Auditing
• Internal Auditing
• Food Safety/Labelling Training
• Data Management
• Brand Protection
• Non-Food Product Safety
Additionally, we have smart software solutions which can be used to store all information required on the labels.
With the implementation of PPDS labels and OOH mandatory calorie labelling, it is now more important than ever to have compliant food information available.
Online websites with menus, apps, secondary delivery companies, and/or traditional menus can be used to achieve this.
Investing in an online solution gives access to customers to manage nutritional and ingredient information easily.
Our online menu management system, Smart Menu, gives customers access to food information and the opportunity to view the menu from their devices, reducing the need for handheld menus.
Smart Chef will automatically update websites and apps as the supply chain and/or recipe cycle changes, minimising errors and saving time.
To find out more or to speak with a member of our team, email info@@ntassure.com or ring 01933 272089 📞
To keep up to date with industry and company news, follow our LinkedIn here 🙂